Comprehensive Multiple Sclerosis Care Center
Our MS Care Center offers thorough and compassionate care with a variety of treatment and management options and services. Our comprehensive team of neurologists, nurses, therapists, and case managers work hard to provide: Clinical Research Trials, Spasticity Management, Acupuncture, Balance and Physical Therapy, Pain Management, and Testing. This comprehensive approach will help guide those with MS and their family members to attain a more satisfying treatment and quality of life.
Our 10 Care Goals:
- Improve education and understanding of Multiple Sclerosis
- Provide an accurate diagnosis
- Provide compassionate care
- Promote empowerment and realistic hope
- Provide symptomatic and effective treatment
- Reduce disease activity and delay progression of disability
- Reduce frequency and severity of relapse
- Treat relapses promptly when they occur
- Maintain and promote functional independence
- Improve and facilitate an acceptable quality of life
What is Multiple Sclerosis?
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS). The CNS is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and the motor and sensory nerves. Symptoms may be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of MS vary from one individual to another. There are constant advancements in the treatment of MS giving new hope to those affected by this disease.
Our staffing for our MS Care Center includes:
- Neurologists with a specialty in treating MS
- Nurse Practitioners
- MS Certified Nursing staff
- Research Nurse Study Coordinators
- Physical therapist specializing in MS physical and balance therapy
- MS Case Management Personnel
Additional Services Provided
- Injection training / education
- Intravenous Infusions
- Bladder Ultrasound
- Clinical Research Trials
- Spasticity Management (i.e. Botulinum Toxin Injections)
- Physical Therapy
- Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy
- Vestibular / Balance Therapy
- Pain Management
- MRI Imaging
- Evoked Potentials
- Cognitive Evaluation
MS care center team members:
Mark Gudesblatt, M.D.
Myassar Zarif, M.D.
Barbara Bumstead, M.S., ANP-C, MSCN
Smitha Thotam, NP - C
Marijean Buhse NP-C PhD
Serina LaBarbera RN MSCN
Lourdes Cruz, RN, MSCN
Christina Burke PT, DPT, NCS
The MS Care Center Locations:
77 Medford Avenue (Route 112)
Patchogue, NY 11772
877 East Main Street
Riverhead, NY 11901
712 Main Street
Islip, NY 11751
MSAA - The Multiple Sclerosis Association Of America
The official site of the Multiple Sclerosis Association of America. Our work is deeply rooted in care and understanding. Our message is one of hope.
“The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation provides a comprehensive approach to helping people with MS maintain their health and well-being.”
MS World - Patients Helping Patients!
MSWorld provides information and support to people with multiple sclerosis and their families.
National MS Society
MS stops people from moving. The National MS Society exists to make sure it doesn't.